The Cardano blockchain, a proof-of-stake (PoS) platform created by Ethereum co-founder Charles Hoskinson in 2017, added support for smart contracts in September 2021, enabling the development of decentralized finance (DeFi) and nonfungible token (NFT) applications. NFTs were introduced to Cardano’s blockchain in 2022, alongside Cardano’s native cryptocurrency ADA.
Creating NFTs on the Cardano blockchain is a straightforward process that is comparable to minting them on Ethereum or Solana. The Cardano platform offers guidelines to help creators through the process, making it less daunting for non-technical NFT enthusiasts.
An original NFT can be a unique piece of art or a collection of distinct items, such as the well-known Bored Ape Yacht Club and CryptoPunks collectibles created on the Ethereum blockchain.
Once the artwork is created, it can be minted into an NFT. The next steps are finding the right platform to mint the NFT and an appropriate marketplace to sell it.
To create NFTs on the Cardano blockchain, follow these steps:
- Set up a wallet and secure your seed phrase.
- Deposit some ADA into the wallet to cover minting and transaction fees.
- Choose a compatible user-friendly NFT maker platform like the NFT-maker.io platform.
- Click the “Mint NFT” button and upload an image.
- Select the music or image file you want to upload.
- Add metadata like the title, author, etc.
- Use the InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) for better and more secure storage capability.
- Send some ADA to the payment address shown on the next page.
- Your NFT should now be on its way and arrive at the wallet to which you deposited ADA.